There are an abundance of roof repair companies in Frisco TX and surrounding areas and it is important to perform your due diligence when looking for a roofing contractor.
During my time as a real estate professional, I have heard many horror stories about roofing contractors. Those stories include contractors asking for partial payment up front and then disappearing, performing half of the work and then disappearing or flat out doing a poor job. Again, when looking for roof repair companies in Frisco, don’t rush to pick just any company.
Please browse the following gallery to see how NOT to install a roof!
Your home’s roofing system essentially protects the contents of your home and it is easy to underestimate the job that your roof does. When it’s time to have your roof inspected or to have your roof replaced, it is very important to perform due diligence when looking for a roofing contractor.
Before I go any further, in the State of Texas, roofing contractors do not have to be licensed; however, some cities and towns may require a proper permit before a roof is replaced; additionally, if your property falls under an HOA, check with your HOA, before your roof is replaced, to HOA approval if required. Sometimes HOAs will require that homeowners submit a written request.
Here are some recommended questions to ask when looking for a roofing contractor.
1. Conduct some research to see if they are a member of any roofing organizations. Reputable roofing contractors associate themselves with organizations that can contribute to their reputation and expertise.
Length of time in business are reviews
2. Determine how long the company has been in the business. More experience doesn’t always equate to quality work, so proceed carefully; have them talk you through the process, in detail, from the roof inspection, the adjuster inspection, the supplies to be used, the actions upon arrival at your home, how long the replacement may take, clean-up, warranty, payment process, etc. DO NOT PAY ANY MONEY UNITL THE JOB IS DONE TO YOUR SATISFACTION!!
What is a roofer gets hurt on your property?
3. Does the company have workman’s comp insurance? If one of their employees gets hurt on your property, you might be held liable! Reputable roofing contractors know how to take care of their crew and perform a quality job. Request copies of these certificates for your own protection.
4. Do they specialize in type of roof you have? Ask for references, those whom they have recently done business with.
5. Inquire about the type of products they intend to use on your roofing and verify the products are quality products. I recommend GAF products.
6. It is also important to know how soon they can complete the work and get it in writing; a typical roof replacement should take 1-2 days. A timeframe should be established before work commences.
7. It’s important to know how many workers will be on the crew and what time they will start and finish each day. Don’t let them send the bare minimum of workers, I recommend at a minimum six workers.
8. Ask how much is the cost will be to replace the roof and get it in writing, line by line, item by item. A good contractor will provide you with the cost of the repair and provide you a detailed description of the products and cost of each; they should clearly break down the details, provide you with product samples, and literature from the specific product samples.
9. Seek info about the workmanship warranty. Warranties are normally for one year, some are longer. Make sure you receive a copy of the warranty.
10. Prepare a list of questions, such as how they handle problems and complaints and you may want to ask for a specific situation and have the contractor explain how he handled it.
The following is a list of area roofers who have been known to be reputable.
About Michael Brownstead
Brought to you by: Michael L, Brownstead, Broker-Owner, Brownstead Real Estate, LLC., 8700 Stonebrook Pkwy, Box 551, Frisco, TX 75034